Welcome to Rivermont Elementary School Counseling!
What does an elementary school counselor do?
- Helps ALL children
- Teaches classroom guidance lesson
- Works with children individually and in small group
- Consults with parents and teachers
- Conducts parent workshops
- Assists with crisis intervention
How does a student get to see the counselor?
- The student may ask to go to the counselor’s office
- A parent, teacher and/or administrator can refer a student
- A school friend may invite him or her for a special visit
What might a student talk about while in the counseling office?
- Feelings about him/herself
- Difficulty in making or getting along with friends
- A family problem
- A school problem
- A fear or worry
- A physical concern
- The need for a little tender loving care
What might a student do in the counselor’s office?
- Talk about things that are important to children
- Use puppets to help express feelings and problems
- Talk about feelings
- Work on a plan to reach a goal
- Read stories
- Go to a safe place to calm down when feeling upset
- Play games to learn ways to relate to others
In any counseling situation,
confidentiality is maintained except:
1. In cases of suspected abuse or neglect.
2. If a child poses a danger to self or others.
3. The child and/or parent/guardian gives
permission to share information.